SEN/D Information



Click here to view the SEN/D Policy

Local Offer

The North Yorkshire SEN/D local offer can be found at:

Contribution to the Local Offer

This is what we provide in our school

1. What kinds of SEN/D are provided for in your school?
Children and young people (CYP) with a wide range of SEN/D are welcomed into the school. If a parent of a pupil with an EHCP requests a place at the school, the CYP is welcomed and strategies sought to meet needs.

2. What policies do you have for identifying children and young people with SEN? How do you assess their needs? What is the SENCo’s name and how can I contact them?

The name and contact number of the SENCo is Mrs Bleasdale and can be contacted through school on 01423 864631.

Where the school feels that something additional or different is needed to support your child because they have SEN/D we will discuss this carefully with you. This information may well be recorded in a document for you and your child, known as an individual provision map or an individual education plan. This will include:-

  • details of any strategies being used to support your child in class;

  • details of any extra support or interventions for your child

  • your child’s learning targets and their long term desired outcomes

  • the next date when your child’s progress will be reviewed.

Most pupils will benefit from SEN/D support, but some pupils who need high levels of support, or who have complex needs will need to be referred for an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).

3. What arrangements do you have for consulting with parents of children with SEN/D and involving them in their child’s education?

We communicate regularly with parents, usually once a term, to discuss how well their child is doing. We listen to what parents have to say and respond to it. For pupils with SEN/D it is often desirable that there is more frequent communication as it is vital that parents and school work together closely. Your knowledge and understanding of your child’s needs is essential to support us in making the best provision for them. This will also take account of your and your child’s hopes, personal goals and interests.

This will allow  us to regularly explain to you where your child is in their learning, and to work with you to ensure the most appropriate targets are set to ensure progress.

On-going communication with school may include:

  • regular contact through a home-school book or by e-mail to keep you informed of things that are going well or particular successes

  • more regular meetings to update you on your child’s progress and whether the support is working

  • clear information about the impact of any interventions

  • guidance for you to support your child’s learning at home.


4. What arrangements do you have in place in your school to consult with young people with SEN/D and how do you involve them in their education?

We will obtain the views of all children (pupil voice) to shape provision in school. We also have a school council.  In addition, it is vital that the views and aspirations of children and young people with SEN/D are listened to and they are supported to achieve their aspirations as far as possible. We will describe how this is undertaken and the frequency with which your child is consulted.


5. What arrangements are in place for assessing and reviewing children and young people’s progress towards outcomes? Please can you explain what opportunities are available to enable you to work with parents and young people as part of this assessment and review

All pupils with SEN/D should make at least expected progress, in line with their peers. We will be able to explain how   monitoring of your child’s progress is undertaken to ensure that it is at least in line with expectations. This will usually include progress made with personal targets, and overall progress on the National Curriculum.


6. What are the arrangements for supporting children and young people in moving between phases of education and in preparing for adulthood? How do you ensure that as young people prepare for adulthood the desirable outcomes reflect their ambitions, which could include higher education, employment, independent living and participation in society

Mrs Bleasdale and staff will arrange an appropriate transition review in plenty of time before any move. Staff from the receiving school will be invited to attend. Transition meetings and visits are arranged for the pupil, and accompanied by a well-known member of staff. The pupil should receive as much transition work as they feel necessary.


 7. What is you School’s approach to teaching children and young people with SEN?

High quality support for learning within mainstream lessons is the most important factor in helping our pupils with SEN/D to make good progress alongside their peers. There may be occasions when we feel that some additional support within lessons may help your child to make better progress. This is by no means always the case. However, if some additional small group or one to one support within lessons is planned, we will explain how this will work, what the aims of this support will be and how and when the impact of this support will be reviewed. Most importantly, this support aims to make your child more independent in lessons

We use a range of evidence based interventions to support our pupils with SEN/D to make better progress. Interventions are structured learning programmes. We will be explain to you:

  • what interventions your child is receiving and what are the intended learning outcomes;

  • when during the week any interventions will be delivered and for how many weeks;

  • who will be delivering the interventions (usually a well-trained teaching assistant) and where (e.g. in class or outside the classroom)

  • how the interventions will relate to and support learning in the classroom;

  • how they will be monitored closely to make sure they are helping your child to make accelerated progress.

8. What sort of adaptations are made to the curriculum and the learning environment of children and young people with SEN/D?

We will describe some of the approaches that classroom teachers and other staff will be using throughout the day to help address your child’s needs within lessons. We will also share with you our overall plan of support (provision map), which outlines many of these strategies.

Some children with a high level of need will also need a care plan or a health care plan which may include a risk assessment.


9. What sort of expertise for supporting children and young people with SEN/D do you currently have in school? How do you ensure that the expertise and training of staff to support children and young people with SEN/D is current? How do you access and secure further specialist expertise?

All staff receive regular training to enable them to meet a range of SEN/D. Teachers and teaching assistants have regular generic training and specific training to meet individual needs as necessary.

We make good use of our SEN/D funding to meet a range of need. However, if any of our pupils has particular needs and the school has exhausted its repertoire, specialist support will be sought promptly.


10. How do you evaluate the effectiveness of the provision made for children and young people with SEN/D?

The progress and attainment of all children is carefully monitored and reported to parents. If a child is provided with additional and different provision/interventions, we will carefully monitor the impact by a variety of methods; such as: measuring how the intervention accelerated progress over a given time – known as a ratio gain or the before and after impact on self-confidence, behaviour etc. During the planning meeting with parents and where possible the child or young person, the teacher will explain what the expected impact will be by the time the intervention is reviewed and how this will be measured. Like many schools, we use Individual Provision Maps (IPMs) to capture this information, which is written during your meeting. This meeting with you and your child is often described as a ‘learning conversation’.

We will evaluate the impact of all interventions and whether they have a strong evidence base of effectiveness.

Other provision, for example provision regularly used in-class (known as Quality First Teaching), will be evaluated regularly by the Senior Leadership Team.


11. How are children and young people with SEN/D enabled to engage in activities available with children and young people in the school who do not have SEN/D?

Our policies state how all pupils are actively included in a wide range of curriculum and extra-curricular activities, including school trips. Pupils with SEN/D are equally represented in positions of responsibility e.g. the school council.


12. How do you support children and young people with SEN/D to improve their emotional and social development? Please explain the extra pastoral support arrangements for listening to the views of children and young people with SEN/D and measures to prevent bullying.

Some of the interventions implemented are for emotional support e.g. SEAL nurture groups, the provision of a key worker.


13. How does the School involve other bodies, including health and social care bodies, local authority support services and voluntary sector organisations, in meeting children and young people’s SEN/D and supporting their families?

The Local Authority offers a range of specialist support and outreach services, including educational psychologists and local enhanced mainstream schools, to help schools to deliver appropriate support and interventions, Other specialists such as speech and language therapists can also support schools in this. If we feel that the involvement of another agency will help us to meet your child’s needs you will be informed and asked to give your consent.


14. What are the arrangements for handling complaints from parents of children with SEN/D about the provision made at the school?

There is a designated member of the Academy Council for SEN/D in the school who is Mrs M Uden and complaints about SEN/D should follow the general complaints procedure. It is always best to approach the teacher or the Head of School first, to see if your concerns can be immediately addressed. If you still feel that your view has not been listened to or answered to your satisfaction you can make a formal complaint by writing to the chair of the Academy Council at school.


15. Whole School Provision Maps